Newry Mourne and Down Labour Market Partnership has a number of employment academies which aim to provide tailored training to help people get jobs and help businesses with recruitment. An employment academy is a short, intensive training programme for a set group of people. Academy participants must be Newry, Mourne and Down residents.
An academy can include:
- an opportunity to hear about the role from people already in the career
- pre-interview training
- technical or accredited modules or both
- guaranteed interview for people completing the academy
Additional criteria may apply for specific programmes.
Academies are currently open in the following sectors:
HGV Driver Employment Academy
The HGV Driver Employment Academy provides all the required training and testing to enable participants to acquire a Category C (Class 2) and/or Category C+E (Class 1) licence and begin a career as a professional driver.
We work with employers to ensure that participants are offered an interview for an appropriate role after successfully acquiring their Category C licence.
Places are limited, to progress to the selection process, potential candidates must:
- Reside within the Newry, Mourne and Down District Council Area
- Be unemployed, under-employed (typically working less than 16 hrs) or at risk of redundancy at the time of application
- Hold a full, clean, current UK Driving Licence – candidates must have held a full UK Driving Licence for at least 2 years. Both the plastic card and paper counterpart will be required to obtain the necessary provisional entitlement to commence training
- Be willing and able to undertake a medical exam
- Be committed and available to complete all required aspects of the Academy including appointments for medicals, theory test classes, lessons, tests and interviews
- Be committed to taking up appropriate employment within the Transport sector
The Academy will be managed by Workforce Training Services, if you wish to be considered, please email your name and contact number to email@example.com and include ‘Newry, Mourne and Down HGV Academy’ in the subject line.
To address the gender imbalance within the transport sector we particularly welcome applications from women.
NMD HGV Driver Employment Academy – Call for Employers
Local business are encouraged to get involved with this exciting opportunity to upskill and grow your workforce. We also welcome your input during the development stage of this training academy to make sure we meet local business needs. We are keen to hear from Newry, Mourne and Down employers who anticipate recruiting Category C (Class 2) and/or Category C+E (Class 1) licence drivers this year and wish to work with us to help address their recruitment needs, for more information please contact us at our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org and put ‘NMD HGV Driver Employment Academy – Employer Interest’ in the subject title.
NMD Health and Social Care Academy
Newry and Mourne Labour Market partnership are offering the opportunity to complete an intensive Employment & Skills Academy with support to apply for live vacancies. The Health and Social Care Employment Academy is a one-week programme that provides training in partnership with key employers and the regulatory body Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC). This training is for care assistant, domiciliary care worker and support worker roles. Everyone who completes the training is guaranteed a job interview in the social care sector.
The programme offers:-
- A chance to improve employability
- Guaranteed interviews with local employers
- An introduction to the sector and an insight into the range of job roles available
- Access to a range of personal development and training including interview skills, effective communication and teamwork
- One to one mentoring support for the duration of the programme
Who can apply?
Employment Academies are open to anyone living in the Newry Mourne and Down District Council area, currently out of work or working less than 16 hours a week.
Preference will be given to those who are economically inactive or long-term unemployed.
What qualifications are required?
Experience of caring in a paid or voluntary role, including looking after family/friends, is desirable but not necessarily essential as these posts are designed for those entering the Health and Social Care sector.
Closing date to register your interest is Friday 11 February 2022, through the link: email@example.com
Starting date: Monday 14 February 2022
NMD Health and Social Care Academy – Call for employers
Academy programmes are demand-led and designed to meet employers’ needs while enabling participants to apply for vacant posts.
If you are an employer who anticipates recruiting employees within the Health and Social Care Sector which includes, Health Care Assistants, domiciliary care worker and support worker roles as well as a positions with a Childcare and Playwork settinga, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org and mention ‘Health and Social Care Academy– Employer Interest’ in the subject line.
These programmes are funded by the Department for Communities through the Newry, Mourne and Down Labour Market Partnership.